Friday, October 08, 2004

wrong place, wrong time

In Sydney seemingly normal people are standing out in the street with placards exhorting us to think about how we vote. Matthew has mentioned the man with the Vote for Decency. Don't vote for John Howard placard, and yesterday, as well as seeing him at Central, I saw another man down near Martin Place with 3 hand lettered boards apparently on about the election as well. Then there are the posters put up by a group of musicians - they don't want us to vote for John either.

But the thing is I live in Sydney, a safe Labor seat, where the big competition is between Tania Pilbersek the current Member, and the Green's candidate Jenny Leong. We haven't had one piece of propaganda from the Liberal candidate, we don't get to vote for John at all.

However Cass and Brian live in Adelaide, a marginal seat, a 2% swing could tip it, and Cass is having trouble coping with the responsiblity. She agrees she's a typical swinging voter: uneducated, selfish, couldn't really give a shit. But now she's got to, or she feels she does, so today she's going to somehow go through a crash course in Australian politics and make her mind up.

Good luck Cass.

Good luck Australia.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Time to get your EU passport I think. My sympathies to all.

10:18 pm  
Blogger lynn said...

yes, but where do we go?

I've, in my head, and to Tim, committed myself to staying here and fighting this shit . . . I've really had enough of it - the bullshit about interest rates, and families, and stability - don't people remember anything? It's facism, it's autocracy, it's death.

10:35 pm  
Blogger Adam said...

Move to Spain, Italy, France...Canada maybe? The UK drives me mad, but at least I don't yell at the news every night. And I don't walk around thinking 'ok, who's the bastard that voted Liberal?'

3:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the guy that held the Vote For Decency - Don't Vote For John Howard placard at Central, Wynyard, Martin Place, Bondi Junction Newtown and Parramatta. It wasn't the "wrong place, wrong time". Andrew Wilkie suggested I target the Sydney electorate as it is marginal. I also held the sign to incoming and outgoing buses and trains to other electorates and potentially influenced the outcome of the election in Parramatta. In fact, the objective was to get nationwide media coverage. Over 150,000 people saw the placard and I gave away free T-shirts with John Howard's abysmal track record. The media was shown to be biased towards the main political parties, despite my approaches and the rally with over 5,000 people. Australia wonders why we're stuck with a choice between 2 evils. I'll probably appear in an SBS program next month and was in the Parramatta Sun, Sunday Telegraph, Canberra Review, 2SER, Radio New Zealand and a Spanish TV, as well as 254 T-shirts. Australia voted with money and fear in mind. How sad.

4:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home