Saturday, October 09, 2004

autocracy

so now we're in for another term of John Howard - and he will take the result of this election and he will say "you've elected me, you want me to make these choices for you",
well,
I'm putting it in writing here and now - I didn't elect you, I don't authorise you to do anything. The Federal Government can pass laws within the lower and upper houses, but you CANNOT act on your idea of what is right for Australia just because you've been elected for a fourth term. I do not give you the right to make choices and decisions for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

I'm told that John said it was a 'humbling' experience to be voted in again. I really can't imagine him feeling much genuine humility about it. It would be good if he remembered that 60% of the population DIDN'T vote for him.
I'm quite frightened and peed off that he is going to have an easier time getting things through the upper house. Why oh why did Australian voters let that happen!
It's going to be hard getting through the next few years watching him get away with more of his shenanigans. I don't know how I'll cope with the frustration. Not caring would be easier, but apathy is not a terribly good option.
Maybe we could have another election sometime after Christmas? We could keep having elections each 3 months until we get it right.

2:29 am  
Blogger lynn said...

I'm scared that if we kept on having elections the "getting it right" that you speak of would be crowning the man King and erecting huge golden images of him all over the shop.

I think the only way for us to deal with this is to keep on writing and keep on encouraging people to think. Also, dare I say it, helping the Labor party come up with some viable strategies and policies apart from "oh ... yeah, we're for families too".

And then, at the end of it all we might come out and realise that yes, Australia is crap, and we really don't belong here ... but I don't want to go down that path just yet.

3:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home