Monday, August 22, 2005

miami

I've been reading (and viewing) around and about Miami. Started out with Joan Didion's Miami originally published by Simon & Schuster in 1987. It's a complicated work, starts out with the place and ends up with Reagan and the contras. Particularly weird to be reading it now after Reagan's death, and the war in Iraq. Moved on to James Ellroy's American Tabloid (Arrow 1995) to keep the Miami and Bay of Pigs, and Kennedy theme going . . . but I gave up on that last night, almost half way through the book. I like the complexity of Ellroy's stories, but find the violence too much, and the characterisations - the smart opportunist, the flawed idealist - kind of wearing. Now I'm back with Didion and The Last Thing He Wanted (Alfred A Knopf 1996). It gets to Miami early on, then moves to an unspecified island somewhere in the Caribbean.

And last night we watched two episodes of Miami Vice on dvd. Nice.

What else could I read? Could back over some Elmore Leonard, and Bashevis Singer. Any other Miami recommendations?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl Hiaasen is a crime writer who sets most (all?) his novels in Florida, bit like Elmore Leonard. Only one I've read is Double Whammy; it's pretty funny - rigged bass fishing tournaments and a retired local politician cum hermit, living off road kill.

11:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! living off road kill sounds like my kind of book . . . ? I'll give Hiaasen a go.

9:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home