Thursday, November 03, 2005

brother discussion sold born none

This is fantastic! Wordcount It's a program that takes the 86,600 most used words in English and ranks them. So I put in "brother" and it comes up at 1,215 followed by "discussion" at 1,216 etc . . . cool in a very peculiar kind of way.

I've just tried with "sister", it comes in at 1,389 followed by grant, smile, instead, justice . . . "friend" is at 572, followed by decisions, countries, expected . . . how "odd" (no. 2255 pension, warning, advertising)

3 Comments:

Blogger Adventures In Plastic said...

That's very cool! You should put in something like 'cantelope'. We had some teacher in our traineeship who needed a word to use as an exampe in some program and for some reason she was fixated with the word 'cantelope' !!

I could also look up words Matt says I use too much (actually well phrases - the last one I remember being 'at the end of the day' as in "at the end of the day the only thing that matters to me is knitting the longest sock in the history of the world...".

Anyways I could look up a word or words in a phrase and if a lot of other people use them too I can have a defence as in 'majority rules' !!

Where is the site? (actually I'll go and check your comment again as it might be in there).

By the way kudos on the word verification thingy on your comments, I think I'll have to do it on my toy story blogs. People keep trying to sell me timber and mortgages!!

I resisted the urge to respond and tell them Jem doesn't need a mortgage, she lives in the Starlight Mansion which she inherited in episode one of the cartoon when he father died!

11:43 pm  
Blogger matte rochford said...

At number 992 comes America... then: ensure, oil, opportunity

5:27 am  
Blogger lynn said...

very cool! there are some very telling adjacencies in the list . . .

7:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home