Sunday, March 26, 2006

good gnod

Gnod is good, and intriguing. It's an
" . . . experiment in the field of artificial intelligence. Its a self-adapting system, living on this server and 'talking' to everyone who comes along. Gnods intention is to learn about the outer world and to learn 'understanding' its visitors. This enables gnod to share all its wisdom with you in an intuitive and efficient way. You might call it a search-engine to find things you don't know about."
Effectively Gnod has got three separate strands: books, music and movies. And it's also got a discussion thing Flork. If you are looking for a new author Gnook (the book strand of Gnod) asks you for the names of three authors you like, and it pulls a fourth author out of its hat. Eg I put in Joan Didion, Thomas Mann, and Anthony Powell, and it gave me back Andrea Barrett. I've read and like Andrea Barrett so I clicked on the "I like it!" button, and got another author Ann Pachett, who I'll now have to look up.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

This is fantastic! I've got a slew of new authors to read and music to listen to. Well found Lynn.

7:49 am  
Blogger lynn said...

Cool eh!

It's ldel.icio.us that helps me find interesting things - I've got it as my homepage so everytime I open up the web I see what other people are looking at and bookmarking.

8:12 am  
Blogger lynn said...

make that del.icio.us

8:13 am  
Blogger Rufus said...

it's fun. I like the literature-map where you click a name and a bunch of writers radiate out of the centre to find some screen space to hover in.

12:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home