Thursday, February 02, 2006

saying "No" to smoking

I've just come across a website devoted to Youth Smoking Prevention. It's put together by Phillip Morris USA. I came to it via a banner ad on a site for vegetarians - the ad said something about 5 ways for your child to say "no" to smoking. I like way number 1 best
"I was at a party and somebody offered me a cigarette," says Sarah, 14. "I said 'no thanks,' and it was cool. I thought it would be a big deal, but it was so easy."
This always works for me when I'm offered dope, but I'm 41, and really people just offer a joint around to be polite. So they're quite relieved when you wave it away.

The thing that puzzles me about Phillip Morris is - if they're really serious about this, that is, kids not smoking, then they'd have to be phasing out their tobacco production and cigarette manufacturing capabilities and phasing in something else . . . and I wonder what that is?

It's all somewhat bizarre given that I was looking at a recipe for eggplant sandwiches, and at least two of the vegetarians I know smoke, and don't like eggplant much . . . I guess Phillip Morris USA would say that they are its target market " . . . products intended for adults." Maybe Phillip Morris USA doesn't like eggplant either.

6 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Eurw to eggplant, yum to the ciggies. I think Mr Morris would do better to give us hints as to how to avoid that mushy, bitter indigestiony muck they call aubergine.

9:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eggplant is wonderful, the italian Pasta Habit I frequent for lunch makes this great sauce called Sorentina which is based on yumy mushy eggplant. There is no pasta sauce with tobacco as a base, Philip Morris could produce their own pre-made sauce like Paul Newman's with a smokey flavour. Cough that pene right out of my mouth.

10:11 am  
Blogger lynn said...

John, who sits next to me at work, suggests the PMUSA may be required to spend a certain amount of money promoting its "don't take up smoking" program. In which case they'd be putting the ads in places where they'd have the least impact eg food sites, health and fitness sites, and they'd keep well away from anything to do with popular music, or gaming.

8:10 am  
Blogger Matthew said...

Euw. This non-smoking vegetarian says NO to eggplant. Icky, fleshy, tasteless things they are.
The 90's were tough for eggplant-hating vegetarians. Restaurants everywhere thought vegos were food snobs who wouldn't eat a vegetable unless it was grilled, and preferably eggplant. Pee-uw!
As for the highly convincing non-smoking promotional material, I like it. It should be used to combat STDs and teen pregnancies. "I was at a party and somebody offered me a root," says Sam, 14. "I said 'no thanks,' and it was cool. I thought it would be a big deal, but it was so easy."

8:32 am  
Blogger Matthew said...

PS. Sorry to go on about eggplants once again Lynn. I know you know my feelings about them already. We do have issues with each other.

8:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at a party and somebody offered me an eggplant, I said 'no, thanks' but this friggin bitch beat the shit out of me . . . I've hated eggplant ever since. Even the words babaganoush, or aubergine freak me out. I'm just over it. Eggplant. Just say no!

9:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home