Tuesday, January 03, 2006

the way we do the web

Reading 10 Web Trends That Should Die in 2006 I got to point 6: "Let's do a traditional homepage for our company" and I started thinking about Monkey Baa.

I tried last year to get them to ditch "the egg" ie the graphic index page, but they love it too much. And why did I want to get rid of it? because it's declasse? daggy? makes me look like a bad web designer? probably, in fact, yes, those would be the reasons. But I didn't come up with anything simple and warm to replace it. And if I made a blog style homepage for Monkey Baa with offers of RSS feeds and updates it'd stay the same way for the whole year . . . and I'd be the one updating it anyway. Maybe very small companies, people that want to offer some information on the web are allowed to have a "traditional" web presence.

After thinking about this for a bit I went on to read some of this: the cluetrain manifesto

It's interesting, (once you get past the line "Markets are conversations"), worth discussing, but who would I be discussing it with? It started me thinking about the ABS and its approach to the web. Very old school. Very unwieldy. But about to change.

The question for me is "what are people doing when they access the web?" When a punter goes to the ABS they may be looking for some stats, but they might also be looking for an idea of what's being researched across Australia, what other people and organisations are doing with figures and facts, what's being enumerated and why. Very interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home