Wednesday, July 05, 2006

a grocer in kensal town

I've been investigating my mother's mother's family history.

On Monday I found out via the 1901 Census that my great-grandparents had a grocery shop in Kensal Town, on Southam St.

Today, using a really old copy of the A to Z, and Google Maps, and flickr, I found some indications of what the place looks like now.

Southam St, Kensal Town on Google Maps Southam is the street between Adair and Golborne.
Kensal Town photos on flickr
Booth Poverty Map Charles Booth did a survey of the 'life and labour of the people in London, the Poverty Map is from 1898-1899.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We wandered around Kensal Town and Goldfinger's Trellick Tower 2 years ago after visiting Notting Hill to find 10 Rillington Place after watching the amazing Richard Attenborough thriller. The building was destroyed and the street renamed but we sort it out anyway. We ended up cathing a bus from Harrow Road to Maida Vale. I remeber the canal very well and the foot bridge crossing it.

5:26 am  
Blogger lynn said...

showing my complete ignorance, but . . . um, what's the Richard Attenborough thriller that features Kensal Green?

you should check out the poverty maps, they're super!

8:27 pm  
Blogger lynn said...

strikes forehead . . . why did I type Kensal Green? I meant Kensal Town!

8:29 pm  
Blogger Adam said...

And strike your forehead again - the film is called '10 Rillington Place'. It should be available on video. The film's not set in Kensal Green / Town but on the edges of Notting Hill - or so we think - the street has been renamed. See the film and you'll see why...

4:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home