Sunday, January 02, 2005

Marcus Aurelius

I started on the new Penguin edition of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations yesterday. I bought it because of the cover, it's beautiful, red and black and embossed on roughish white card. In the first book he writes a little bit about what various people have taught him. In the second book he writes more about philosophy, and I don't really understand what he's on about, I'll have to go over it again.

I don't have the book with me, or I'd put in a quote. It's very cool.

It's part of the Penguin Great Ideas series, and the cover design has apparently won:
the second prize in the International Typography Awards, 2004, book cover category. Each title in the series is dressed in the lettering or typographic style of the period of its original publication.

The prestigious biennial International Society of Typographic Designers Awards are open to professional designers worldwide with the aim of assessing current standards of typographic design and acknowledging excellence in this field. The awards are unique in that they are the only international design awards judged purely from the standpoint of typographic design.

For more information on the award visit the International Society of Typographic Designers website at www.istd.org.uk


There you go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home