Tuesday, March 15, 2005

tags dymo grafitti pleasure


Irritating
Originally uploaded by Edwinek.

To start with when I looked at this picture I thought it was Dymo tape, you know that stuff, blue plastic tape that went into a labelling machine with a dial-up letterer - very cool - my Mum wouldn't buy one. She did neat hand lettered labels instead. Boring. I wanted to dial-up the letters one by one and punch them out, then peel off the tape from its backing paper and stick it onto something.

When I lived in Adelaide Cass came around one day with a Dymo machine and we tagged the dog. (My previous whippet Eddie.) We put the word "dog" on her head then took her for a walk, we had a whole story worked out to tell people if they stopped us and asked "why does your dog have the word "dog" on its head?". We were going to say "it's a reminder" - a bit like in a thousand years of solitude where the town can't get to sleep and starts to forget what everything is, so they label things, but then they began to forget the meaning of the labels.

Tags are a bit like that.



I forgot to mention that I found the picture via the Flickr Postcard Browser. Nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home