Tuesday, September 13, 2005

able was I ere I saw elba

We saw Palindromes the other night. Todd Solondz has something to offend everyone in this film, but at the same time it's wonderfully engaging. As Tim pointed out, somehow his films make you have a huge emotional response at the same time as making you think. Watching Palindromes I was constantly thinking "why am I reacting like this? what don't I like about this? what is the structure doing? do I agree or disagree with this position/philosophy/world view?" One of the groovy things about the film was that half way through it went into a Robert Mitcham "Night of the Hunter" thing - very strange. (And one of the Avivas reminded me of a book I read last year that I can't remember the name or the author of. Yes I know very helpful. I'll have to go to the library and pull the book out, surname beginning with L maybe. Ah yes J.T. Leroy's The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things.)

In the end I was just really happy that I don't have any children.

On another note - both Adam and Lily have said that they preferred the Gene Wilder version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Whereas Matthew really enjoyed it. I'm re-reading the book and may see the film. If I do, I'll report back.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home