Friday, August 18, 2006

2nd half

On Monday I turned 42. Houston sent me a congratulatory email, which was supposed to have a link. He forgot the link, but when I asked him about it, he sent me this: OK Go - on treadmills.

It's a great present, and remarkably apposite. For the last year I've worked with a group of people, the majority of whom are at least 10 years younger than me. They go to the gym, they work out at home. We're research nerds and yet there's this body culture thing going on. So for my birthday I asked for, and got, an exercise ball, and some weights. Am I suddenly going to become glamorous? I'm certainly not going to get younger.

Houston's link is the only cultural present I got this year.

I'm trying to balance this all out by reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's The Autumn of the Patriarch which I got for my birthday back in 1985. I didn't read it back then, I got through the first couple of pages and gave up. Now it's easier somehow, and the density is gripping rather than repulsive.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYNN!!!!

Sorry we forgot.

7:33 pm  
Blogger Adventures In Plastic said...

Gah! Are we all bad friends or WHAT!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYNNIE!!! BTW this is Cade not Barbie - somehow I've ended up under the Barbie logon on your page which is weird as I signed into my own personal blog. And if I talk long enough you'll forget that we didn't acknowledge your birthday and then be awfully surprised next year when we remember (and we will - I never forget a birthday twice!) Hope you had a fantastic day!!!

8:00 pm  
Blogger Adventures In Plastic said...

BTW just to confirm - Aug 14th is your b'day?

Once again - if this comes up as Barbie it's not her, tis Cade - NOT BARBIE!! (Blogger is so weird - I was on my own personal blog and clicked on you from there - my computer seems to know I own both blogs and can throw me from one to another! Kinda spooky!) XX

8:03 pm  
Blogger lenton said...

42 - The Meaning of Life.

11:25 pm  
Blogger lynn said...

Indeed the meaning of life, and for women in Australia right now, it's the half way point.

Pretty cool hey, that we're suddenly enlightened as to what it's all about, or rather we find out the result of the mice's experiment, half way through our lives instead of right at the end.

8:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home